Friday, March 13, 2009

March 23rd Updates here

Make these fuller updates. Tell me what you accomplished winter quarter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To-do list 3/16-3/22

Research
1. Write for the workshop [Not done]
2. Ask for recommendation letters [Not done]
3. Skim the rest of Hayner book [Done]
4. Skim Radical Evils on Trial (Nino) [Done]
5. Read TJ East Timor article in Critical Asian Studies [Done]
6. Read Aspinall Aceh book (2006) [Almost done]
7. Read Olick and Levy 1997 [Done]
8. Read Walicki in McAdams ed book [Not done]
9. Read Stan 2006 Eastern Europe [Not done]

TA/RA work
1. Finish the summaries up [Almost done]
2. Start working on replication [Done]
3. Syllabus draft [Not yet done...uhh]

Others
1. Mail translation manuscript [Tomorrow]
2. IRB session [Done]
3. Bahasa Indonesia [Done]


To-do list 3/23-3/29

Research
1. Write AGGRS draft
2. Ask for recommendation letters
3. Read the rest of Aspinall Aceh book
4. Read Gerwani article
5. Read Walicki
6. Read Stan
7. Start IRB application

Classwork
1. Read for 826

TA/RA work
1. The summary
2. Syllabus
3. First class
4. Scan and upload W1-2 readings

Others
1. Beginning Indonesian ch 18
2. Gym
3. Korean school


What I did this quarter

1. Wrote some grant proposals
2. Indonesian - 8 chapters
3. Read several articles and made unsystematic notes on some of them
4. Finished the last (hopefully) proofreading of the translation project

What I will do next quarter

1. Write some more grant proposals
2. Indonesian: 1~1.5hrs every weekday
3. Teaching
4. Try to make some systematic notes - list of hypotheses and concepts, chronologies, etc.
5. At least identify readings for lit review
6. Think more - theory, variables, methods, my cases, other cases...
7. Field trip plan
8. Go out and find a place for fall...

Miryam said...

What I accomplished winter quarter:
Not that much. I explored several different angles for my question and ended up feeling like I was moving away from what was really interesting to me and away from a viable question. I now feel like I might be getting closer (pending feedback this week in workshop) by actually moving back towards where I started. I also began compiling a data set on authoritarian elections.

What I hope to accomplish spring quarter:
Find a dissertation question; write a more comprehensive lit review; get rejected by SSRC (I’d really just like the notification – they’re taking too long); finish planning my wedding.

To Do by 3/31/09:
1. Research
Continue reading Gandhi if book has been delivered
Begin re-reading Brownlee
Continue reading Central America
Write for workshop
2. Classes
Advanced MLE
3. TA
--
4. Other
Student visit
Pick up rings
Choose ketubah

Q said...

Winter Quarter Accomplishments

Dissertation:
1.) Wrote a first draft of dissertation theory
2.) Built panel dataset of Russian regional socio-economic data
3.) Started analyses for empirical chapter
4.) Applied for three dissertation-related grant competitions
5.) Conducted a brief overview of formal bureaucracy literature

Classwork:
1.) Gained a good working knowledge of spatial econometrics

Teaching:
1.) Made as little changes as possible

Other:
1.) Ordered business cards
2.) Got website up and going
3.) Started riding my bike to campus again


To Do By 3/30/08

Dissertation:
1.) rework Midwest intro
2.) add corruption variable to empirical analysis
3.) send out Midwest paper to discussant
4.) start Midwest presentation
5.) email Tim

Classwork:
1.) talk to James Peck
2.) register for Econ 741

Teaching:
1.) get syllabus ready

Other:
1.) a few hours of sleep would be nice to squeeze in somewhere
2.) hassle some recruits
3.) renew passport

Anonymous said...

Winter Quarter: What I Accomplished

Dissertation
1. NSF Application
2. Horowitz/OIA/Mershon Applications
3. Collection of new social spending data
4. Discovery of which labor union data do and do not exist

Teaching
1. Became more annoyed with the Facebook Generation

Econ
1. Suffered. A lot.
2. Evaded and Survived.

Other
1. Presented at SPSA
2. Concocted something to submit to Polmeth


To Do by 3/30/08

Dissertation
1. MPSA analysis, paper

Teaching
1. Write up, print some syllabi

Class
1. Show up for econ
2. Attempt to finish up some spatial assignments

Other
1. Email Midwest panelists
2. Maybe go out for a bday dinner

Anonymous said...

Winter Have Done's:

1. have two of three cmte members on board
2. applied to 11 grants/scholarships
3. one literature review
4. draft of Midwest paper
5. skeletal theoretical map
6. some data analysis

Spring to Do's
1. present at Midwest
2. get 3rd cmte member on board
3. defend prospectus by April 14.

Soundarya said...

This Quarter:

1) Worked on developing ideas for the theory section
2) Finished three grant applications
3) Read EPW archives on riot articles & reports that may not be directly relevant
4) Read some useful general stuff on state capacity but very few that were India specific
5) Failed to finish outline of dissertation chapters
6) Failed to revise lit review section

Done:

1) Look up recent dissertations (BEGUN)
2) Write 2-page outline of dissertation chapters (NOT DONE)
3) Continue reworking theory section...start writing every day (Did write but not every day)
4) Begin revising lit review section.....read lit review chapters of dissertations for ideas on organization (Not done)
5) Complete state capacity and redistribution readings....try and operationalize it and identify possible data sources (begun...not finished reading the stuff I had )
6) Attend IRB session on Wednesday at 3 pm (Done)
7) Make reading list on Christian right movements....talk to someone who works on this (Not done)
8) Make exam copies (Done)
9) Finish grading by Saturday (Finished on Monday)

To Do:
1) Work on AGGRS & Sonkin-Bergman applications/ask for letters
2) Schedule meeting with Irfan, make a list of the gazillion questions I need to discuss
3) Write an outline of dissertation chapters
4) Collate my notes on state capacity and rework the theory section
5) write up a detailed outline of lit review section
6) Reading list on Christian right movements
7) Revise syllabus, upload readings on Carmen
---
8) Start IRB app, complete online CITI training
9) Make fieldwork plan: rethink case selection, think about data sources needed, make a preliminary list of people to get in touch with, work on questionnaire.
10) Finalize travel plans, visa stuff
11) Start thinking about how and what to write for APSA paper

Rebecca said...

To Do List
What I accomplished Winter Quarter:
I read a lot of articles, book chapters, conference papers, and a few dissertations on media and politics. I brainstormed most days. I’m not sure if I’ve made any progress towards a dissertation question. At the least, I’ve made no concrete progress towards a question.
To Do by 3/30:
Dissertation
1. Skim Norris et al
2. Find 3 articles or chapters and read them
3. Write for a half hour each day
4. Scan Latin American and International News
Teaching:
1. Finish syllabus
2. E-mail syllabus to PS office
3. Write first 4 lesson plans
Other:
1. Clean house
2. Do taxes
3. FAFSA
4. Take stuff to Goodwill
5. Enjoy some R&R